‘The Nate Berkus Show’ Cancelled After Two Seasons
Oprah’s interior designer protege Nate Berkus – who introduced his ratings-challenged talk show in October 2010 – is leaving the tough daytime arena.
On Friday, Sony and Harpo Productions announced that The Nate Berkus Show will not be renewed for the 2012-2013 season — making the show’s current second season also its last.
After careful consideration, we have decided that The Nate Berkus Show will not return for a third season in the fall. We are grateful for the hard work and heart that Nate, [executive producer] Corin Nelson and their entire team have poured into the show, and were very proud of what theyve delivered.
Nates show, which focused on interior design and featured interviews with celebrity guests, has struggled to find its footing and a strong viewership.
Last year, The New York Post reported that Oprah was up in arms after learning that Nate’s program was only earning about 1.2 million viewers a day — a distant second to fellow newcomer Swift Justice, which attracted about 2 million viewers a day. At the time, The Hollywood Reporters Lindsay Powers hypothesized that lack of direction was at the root of Nate’s troubles.
Possibly tripping Berkus up: his unfocused show spans topics ranging from celebrity interviews to household tips.”
Nate says he’s pleased with the product his team has put on television. In a statement, he said:
Im incredibly proud of my hard working and talented staff, and proud of the show we were able to produce every day.”
Winfrey previously launched successful daytime shows featuring Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray and Dr. Oz. Each became the highest-rated new program of the year.