2011 NAACP Image Awards: Willow Smith Among Winners in Music
The ‘Whip My Hair’ hitmaker is dubbed Outstanding New Artist at the 42nd Annual NAACP Image Awards, while John Legend and The Roots dominate with two wins.Willow Smith has bagged her first major accolade in the music field. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) has just announced the winners of its 42nd annual Image Awards, and the daughter of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith came up as one of them.
The 10-year-old, who launched her music career with debut single “Whip My Hair”, took home the title of Outstanding New Artist. She beat out much-older rivals like B.o.B, Bruno Mars, Jason Derulo and Nicki Minaj. While winning the kudo, the young singer failed to land another. She lost to Alicia Keys in the category of Outstanding Music Video.
Collecting the most nods in music, in the meantime, were John Legend and The Roots. Together, they shared two trophies, one for Outstanding Album and the other one for Outstanding Duo, Group or Collaboration. For the Album category, they best over Kanye West, Smokey Robinson, Usher and Sade.
Other winners include Mary J. Blige and Fantasia Barrino. Mary was presented with an award for Outstanding Female Artist, whereas Fantasia walked away with Outstanding Song for her “Bittersweet” single.
NAACP Image Awards also honors the best achievements by people of color in TV, movie and literature. This year, its ceremony was held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California on Friday, March 4, and aired live on FOX. Wayne Brady and Holly Robinson Peete served as the host.
- Outstanding New Artist: Willow Smith
- Outstanding Male Artist: Usher
- Outstanding Female Artist: Mary J. Blige
- Outstanding Duo, Group or Collaboration: John Legend and The Roots
- Outstanding Jazz Album: “From Billie Holiday to Edith Piaf – Live in Marciac” – The Wynton Marsalis Quintet and Richard Galliano
- Outstanding Gospel Album (Traditional or Contemporary): “You Are Not Alone” – Mavis Staples
- Outstanding World Music Album: “VOCAbuLarieS” – Bobby McFerrin
- Outstanding Music Video: “Un-thinkable (I’m Ready)” – Alicia Keys
- Outstanding Song: “Bittersweet” – Fantasia Barrino
- Outstanding Album: “Wake Up!” – John Legend and The Roots